Charge is seeking a senior-level engineer with mastery of the journey engineer job duties to lead engineering and design of complex utility projects.
About the position:
The Senior Electrical Engineer receives daily leadership support from the Engineering Manager under the Director of Corporate Operations. This is a senior-level engineer job that requires mastery of the journey engineer job duties and is responsible for leading engineering and design of complex utility projects. Applies extensive knowledge of concepts, principles, and practices to resolve complex problems with only general direction. Provides leadership, coaching, technical direction, knowledge transfer, and assistance to technical employees and project teams. Additional responsibilities beyond the Senior engineer include, but are not limited to, the following: Deliver presentations, lead team meetings, interpret utility industry practices, standards, and codes. The responsibility level of this position increases with experience. We place an emphasis on candidates with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
This is a senior level Engineer job that works under the general technical direction of more experienced engineers. May perform functions of entry and mid-level Engineers and in addition:
- Manage large complex utility projects and perform engineering analyses, studies, and develop conceptual designs.
- Lead, coach, direct, and assist technical employees and teams on technical issues
- May act as an engineering mentor.
- Assist in finalizing contract project specification and technical evaluation of contract project bids.
- Provide support to other departments in land, permitting, and legal issues.
- Investigates resources required to complete engineering and project-related tasks.
- Resolves problems of complex scope.
- Assignments may provide an opportunity for creative or non-standard approaches.
- Under general direction, independently plans work to meet assigned objectives.
- Provide technical direction to less experienced team members.
- Exchanges information and solves problems with others outside immediate team.
- Establishes engineering schedule.
- Prepares project forecast for engineering, tracks progress, updates as needed, and provides periodic updates.
- Provides guidance to design and contractor team members, and reviews design and technical documents.
- Coordinating with other lines of business, ensures designs and technical documents meet customer criteria, quality, and job scope.
- Approves revisions to existing designs.
- Identify and support procurement of long-lead time material for assigned projects.
- Reviews and approves project material procurement list, vendor drawings, equipment specification updates, and engineering material requests.
- Lead and participate in design review meetings.
- Coordinates project activities with other disciplines.
- Provides construction support through evaluation and make recommendations to solve construction problems.
- A 4-year BS Degree in Electrical Engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited curriculum in the US or the equivalent from outside the US
- Current and active California PE license
- Meets specific technical requirements gained through a minimum of five years of cumulative experience in electrical engineering and design
- Demonstrates knowledge and capabilities of coordinating with project teams, and understands the roles and responsibilities of project managers
- Able to work with limited supervision and guidance to meet project commitments
- Able to work with internal and external customers and suppliers
- Able to understand and implement the technical requirements of interfacing engineering disciplines
- Demonstrates informed judgment when making decisions and recommendations
- Uses judgment in applying engineering principles and techniques to determine cost effective and practical solutions
- Ability to manage and complete several projects concurrently
- Knowledge of applicable codes, utility industry standards and regulations
- Can provide thorough analysis of issues and justification of recommendations
- Takes ownership of problems and their solutions
- Capable of qualification to specific work location requirements
- Experience interfacing with Project Managers, Design Drafting, and Field Engineers to define requirements for drawings, documents, and data that accurately reflects field conditions and meets established criteria
- Quantitative and qualitative analytical skills
- Project management skills
- Ability to build relationships and provide customer service and user support
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Computer skills with Auto-CAD, Bluebeam, and Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and perform multiple tasks
- 5+ years’ experience in electrical engineering desired
- 2+ years’ experience working for or with a California Utility
- Understanding of CPUC rules
- Understands utility level distribution circuit design, both overhead and underground
- Able to apply basic engineering principles and theory
- Prioritizes, plans, and recommends solutions for routine projects
- Effectively communicates both written and orally
- Approaches and plans work in an organized manner to meet project commitments
- Demonstrates good judgment when making decisions and recommendations
- Frequently shows initiative and acts proactively
This is an exciting time to join Charge because we are growing rapidly, providing our employees ample opportunity for challenging projects and career development. We have earned our reputation as a leading provider of design, procurement, and construction services for the underground utility industry. We pride ourselves on our company culture, which emphasizes collaboration and an enthusiasm to solve our customers’ most challenging problems.