Charge is currently seeking an experienced utility design engineer with advanced knowledge of utility level electrical systems.
About the position:
The Engineer II receives daily leadership support from the Engineering Manager under the Director of Corporate Operations and is responsible for providing technical engineering support for routine projects, including, but not limited to: providing technical data; applying engineering principles to investigate, analyze, and propose solutions to technical issues; assisting project managers, construction personnel, and other business partners to assess project needs, develop and document project scope, develop cost estimates, identify material procurement needs, oversee or conduct engineering design review, review engineering documents, and provide guidance to design group. The responsibility level of this position increases with experience. We place an emphasis on candidates with strong interpersonal and communication skills.
This is a journey level Engineer job that works under the general technical direction of more experienced engineers. Initial assignments from the tasks below will require direction and supervision:
- Assists with or conducts project walkdowns and works with project team, including both internal and external clients, to establish scope of work, schedule, and cost commitments.
- Gathers technical information from field data and project team.
- Prepares cost estimates.
- Investigates resources required to complete engineering and project-related tasks.
- Providing feasibility sketches of new or modified installations to designers and engineers based on installed plant conditions.
- Establishes engineering schedule.
- Prepares project forecast for engineering, tracks progress, updates as needed, and provides periodic updates.
- Provides guidance to design and contractor team members, and reviews design and technical documents.
- Coordinating with other lines of business, ensures designs and technical documents meet appropriate criteria, quality, and job scope.
- Approves revisions to existing drawings for routine projects.
- Procures long-lead time material for assigned projects.
- Under direction, reviews and approves project material procurement list, vendor drawings, equipment specification updates, and engineering material requests.
- Participates in periodic design review meetings.
- Coordinates project activities with other disciplines for routine projects.
- Under direction, provides construction support and evaluates and makes recommendations to resolve field construction problems.
- A 4-year BS Degree in Engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited curriculum in the US or the equivalent from outside the US
- Mastery of the Associate level Engineer job duties or equivalent and demonstrated knowledge and ability to perform the basic duties of the Journey Level Engineer
- Meets specific technical requirements gained through a minimum of three years of cumulative experience in engineering and design
- Demonstrates knowledge and abilities required for the Associate level engineer and capable of coordinating with project team, and has basic understanding of the roles and responsibilities of project managers
- Able to work with limited supervision and guidance to meet project commitments
- Able to work with internal and external customers and suppliers
- Able to understand and implement the technical requirements of interfacing engineering disciplines
- Demonstrates informed judgment when making decisions and recommendations
- Uses judgment in applying engineering principles and techniques to determine cost effective and practical solutions
- Ability to manage and complete several projects concurrently, depending on scope and complexity
- Interprets applicable codes, industry standards and regulations and educates others
- Can provide thorough analysis of issues and justification of recommendations
- Takes ownership of problems and their solutions
- Capable of qualification to specific work location requirements
- Has ability to provide an interface with Project Managers, Design Drafting, and Field Engineers to define requirements for drawings, other documents, and data that accurately reflect field conditions and meet established criteria
- Quantitative and qualitative analytical skills
- Project management skills
- Ability to build relationships and provide customer service and user support
- Knowledge of company products and services
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Computer skills with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Ability to prioritize, organize, and perform multiple tasks
- Current and active California PE license desired
- 3-4 years’ experience in engineering desired
- Able to apply basic engineering principles and theory
- Prioritizes, plans, and recommends solutions for routine projects
- Effectively communicates both written and orally
- Approaches and plans work in an organized manner to meet project commitments
- Demonstrates good judgment when making decisions and recommendations
- Frequently shows initiative and takes action proactively
This is an exciting time to join Charge because we are growing rapidly, providing our employees ample opportunity for challenging projects and career development. We have earned our reputation as a leading provider of design, procurement, and construction services for the underground utility industry. We pride ourselves on our company culture, which emphasizes collaboration and an enthusiasm to solve our customers’ most challenging problems.